About Tope :
Tope is an alumnus of the Prestigious Harvard Kennedy School Executive Education (Leaders in Development: Managing Change in a Dynamic World).
He is an Attorney with vast experience in Dispute Resolution, Specialized Transaction and Corporate/Commercial practice. He started his legal career with the leading commercial law firm of Olaniwun Ajayi LP where he developed proficiency in litigation, receivership, arbitration as well as project and corporate finance. He later joined the respected law office of Afe Babalola SAN & Co where he deepened his experience in litigation and arbitration practices. Tope has participated in some of the most challenging cases in banking, finance, corporate law and commercial law and has also commendably handled many cases in the superior courts of records in Nigeria including the Court of Appeal and Supreme Court.
At both Afe Babalola SAN & Co and Olaniwun Ajayi LP, Tope acted for and against multinational corporations including Shell BP, Chevron, Mobil and Pan Ocean Nigeria Ltd. He has also participated in disputes arising from company management and administration especially in telecommunications, oil and gas industries. At Afe Babalola, he was one of the lawyers who represented the respondent in the case of UBA v. BTL, a case which recorded the payments of the highest amount in damages against a bank for negligent handling of Client’s transactions in our recent history.
Tope graduated as the best student at Faculty of Law, University of Ado-Ekiti (where he was also President of the Students’ Union). In addition, Tope coveted another prize in his LLM programme at University of Lagos where he graduated as the best student. He, in fact, won the Hoponu Wusu price for the best graduating student in LLM in year 2008 at the University of Lagos.
Tope is a full member of the International Bar Association. He is registered with the Securities and Exchange Commission as a capital market consultant and also registered with the Financial Reporting Council of Nigeria (FRCN). He is the Senior Partner of the firm and Partner in charge of Dispute Resolution and Specialized Transaction.
Tope is a fellow of the Nigerian Institute of Chartered Arbitrators.
Membership of Professional Association
Nigerian Bar Association
IPLAN - Intellectual Property Law Association of Nigeria
Capital Market Solicitors’ Association
American Intellectual Property Law Association – Student member
- Team Lead, Legal Team that advises on recovery of financial exposure to the tune of over US$12.7 billion arising from the shipment and sale of over fifty million barrels of crude oil by several local and multinational oil companies;
- Team Lead, Legal Team that is representing NNPC and NPDC in court on the divestment of the Federal Government of Nigeria’s equity in Brass and Forcados Assets and recovery of USD1.7 Billion due obligations;
- Team Lead, Legal Team that advised and represented Federal Government of Nigeria on recovery of N1.04 Trillion penalty imposed on a multi-national telecommunication company;
- Tope led the team of solicitors that represented the Trustee in the State Government of Osun’s N10, 000,000.00 (Ten Billion Naira) Bond Issuance Programme.
- Tope led the team of lawyers that recovered the sum of N2, 500,000,000 (Two Billion, Five Hundred Million Naira) owed to an agro-based Institute by the Federal Government of Nigeria.
- Concluded and ongoing recoveries of hundreds of millions being owed a foremost Engineering Services company by companies which engaged its services and refused to pay upon the execution of contracts awarded to our Client.
- Adebayo led the team that advised and are representing a multi-national real estate company in a suit for indemnification on account of irredeemable structural defects on the multi-billion naira Town Houses at Mambila Close, Osborne Foreshore, Ikoyi.
- He also led the team that advised and defended a multi-national financial institution in a suit on consistent publication of injurious falsehood that almost threatened the investment of multi-million dollars by an expatriate company in the financial institution and the attendant recapitalization.
- Tope exuded uncommon dexterity when he led the team that successfully prosecuted, on behalf of an investment company, the enforcement of undertaking as to damages pursuant to an order of mareva injunction against the company’s account which paralyzed the activities of the company for over 20 months and exposed it to huge financial loss and brand erosion. The case has designed an incredible template in the legal industry and also set a new tone for undertaking as to damages.
- Adebayo’s uncommon knack in blazing new trail in legal practice was also brought to bear when he led the team that advised and defended an agro-based company in a suit against a financial institution for indemnification and/or specific performance of a contract awarded by the Federal Government which the financial institution induced the breach on account of the oft-encountered challenges of documentary credit.
- Leads the ongoing legal and regulatory advice to West African Methanol Alternative Energy Project in accessing funds for the construction of its multi-billion dollar methanol plant in Nigeria.
- Currently rendering legal advice to Axiom Air on its aircraft lease financing options.
- Corporate and Commercial Practice
- Intellectual Property and Media Law
- Legal Audit
- Banking and Finance
- Capital Market
- Competition and Anti-trust Law
- Harvard Kennedy School – (Executive Education)
- University of Lagos – (LLM)
- Nigerian Law School – (B.L)
- University of Ado Ekiti – (LL.B)